Monday, November 22, 2010

Featured Artist: Joseph Wheelwright


I happened to luck out today. I was able to interview Joe Wheelwright, and during our interview, Wheelwright told me of his Tree Figures show at the Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, MA, and mentioned that sadly, it would be coming down in two days. I thought to myself, “well maybe I’ll see it before he takes it down.” However, I had a very busy weekend and didn't think I would make it. But due to pure luck, I did get the chance to see Tree Figures. I ended up bringing my husband with me to see Wheelwright’s show the day before it was coming down.


I have never been to the Fruitlands Museum grounds, so it was quite a sight. The museum is set on higher ground so you are able to look out and see a scenic vista. It was beautiful, especially with the fall foliage, even though it’s fairly late in the season. I must say that I have never seen quite a show like this one.


We were given a map when we bought our tickets and had to walk through fields and forest to see the Tree Figures. As we began our walk, it was clear that Wheelwright’s Tree Figures, eight trees and one stone carving, were very thoughtfully placed throughout walking trails. Each tree seemed to fit naturally into it’s surrounding area. It was almost as if they were meant to be there all along. As we walked through the exhibit, we came upon tree after tree. We even became a little lost at one point turning this “show” into a small adventure. Walking along the path, we came into a clearing and that is when we saw it, The Oracle, one of Wheelwright’s main trees. It was standing tall and omniscient at the end of the clearing. This tree gave off a feeling of power as we stood there gazing at it. It was beautiful but at the same time, intimidating because it seemed like it was naturally grown there. We both joked and said that if we didn’t know that this was an art show that we would both have probably run in the opposite direction of The Oracle!


I only wished that I knew of this show earlier. However, the trees are now on the move. Wheelwright will be showing some old and some new works in New York next year. So if you want to experience an artistic adventure go see the trees, I promise you will not be disappointed! Joe will also be exhibiting his works at the Boston Sculptors Gallery at 486 Harrison Avenue from January 5 - February 6, 2011. Meet the artist at one of the First Friday receptions Jan. 7 and Feb. 4 from 5 - 8 pm, or at the artist reception Sat. Jan. 8 from 3 - 6 pm. Submitted by Jen Costa, Boston Sculptors Gallery intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment